Saturday, February 8, 2014

"Walking on the Sea"

  In Matthew 14:22-33 we get to read about the amazing miracle of Peter walking on the water.
In the first couple of verses we find out that Jesus told the disciples to go to the ship and sail over to the other side of the sea while He went to pray in the mountains. There was a lot of wind that night and the disciples were having a hard time getting the ship to sail properly. Then, they saw Jesus and were afraid. They thought He was a spirit and it was probably strange to see a man on the water like that, especially in the middle of the night. Jesus quickly told them who He was and told them not to be afraid (vs. 27). Peter's response to this shows that he had incredible faith in the Savior. He told Him that if He really was Christ, to ask him to come onto the water (vs. 28). Christ did, and Peter started to walk on the sea (vs. 29). He started to waiver, however, when he saw how crazy the wind was (vs. 30). When he started to sink, Peter cried out to Christ to save him. "Immediately", Christ stretched out His hand and caught Peter (vs. 31). I think it is important to recognize that Christ responded so quickly to Peter when he asked for help. I know that He does that for us too! When we need help, Christ is always there for us, waiting for us to ask Him for assistance. He knows what we need better than we do and if we rely on Him and have faith in His power, we will ALWAYS be okay!
  My teacher wanted us to look up Doctrine and Covenants 88:67 and discuss how it relates to Peter's success while walking on water and what principle we can learn from it to help us with our own storms in life. This is an absolutely beautiful scripture, so I will share it with you all!

67 And if your eye be asingle to my bglory, your whole bodies shall be filled with light, and there shall be no darkness in you; and that body which is filled with light ccomprehendeth all things.

The principle that I get from this is that if we focus on Christ and His glory, then we will be free from darkness, filled with light, and able to understand everything. I love this! Peter was successful as long as he kept his eyes on Christ. As soon as he let a little bit of darkness in, he started to sink. I think when we are going through trials we need to remember Christ. If we focus on Him, He will make our trials a little easier to deal with and we will be able to have a deeper understanding of how much He loves us and how we will be stronger when we overcome the trial with His help.
  I know my Savior lives. I know that if we rely on Him, He will ALWAYS be there for us, guiding us and saving us in the storms of life. I know that if we have faith in Him, we can do anything He asks us to do, even if it is walking on water.

No comments:

Post a Comment