In Luke 10:1-24 Christ is instructing the Seventy. I really like these verses! Christ instructs the Seventy to go out two-by-two into the cities that He will be visiting to help prepare the people. He tells them not to worry about money or food because the people in the cities (and Heavenly Father) will take care of them. He tells them what to do if they are rejected (pretty much curse the city) and they rejoice at what the Lord tells them. One of my favorite verses from this section is verse 19: Behold, I give unto you
I love this verse because it is a great reminder to me that if we are doing the Lord's work, nothing can stop us! We will be protected!!
Christ then tells them to rejoice because their names are written in heaven, not because of the new power they have to cast out evil spirits. He tells them that what they are learning is so important when He prays to Heavenly Father, thanking Him for revealing these special things to the babes and not to the people who think (JST) they are important. I love that! It is another example of how the Lord works in simple ways and how grateful He is. What a perfect example! Finally, He emphasizes to His disciples how important and special the things they get to see are. That is a pretty big deal!
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints also has a Quorum of the Seventy. In our Articles of Faith, which is the list of our beliefs, we have one (#6) that says, "We believe in the same organization that existed in the primitive church, namely apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists and so forth." This is really cool! We have the same set-up in our Church today that Christ had when He was on the earth. The members of the Seventy travel the world, just like they did in ancient times. They also can work miracles, like the Seventy did in Christ's time. They have all of the power that the Seventy had in Christ's time because they hold the same office. I think this is amazing! We are so blessed to have such a perfect set-up. It is clear that our way is the same as Christ's. There are several scriptures that reference the Seventy, especially in the Doctrine and Covenants. These scriptures specifically call them "elders", which is an office in the Priesthood, meaning they are endowed with the power of God to be a witness of Jesus and preach of Him to the World (See http://www.lds.org/scriptures/gs/seventy).
I know that the Church is true. I know it is set up in the same way Christ set up the church in ancient times. I know that if we follow Christ and are doing His work, we will be blessed and protected. I know my Savior lives. I know He loves me. I know that He died for me and would do it again. I know that He suffered for my sins and that He always knows exactly how I feel. I am so grateful for His sacrifice and that I always have Him to turn to.
No comments:
Post a Comment